Vermiculite and Perlite products improve soil aeration by containing spaces within the particles that can contain air so plant roots can receive oxygen. Perlite is rated as having high air porosity and vermiculite as medium air porosity. Due to Perlite’s more rigid shape, there are more spaces between perlite particles that provide spaces for air than the softer vermiculite particles furnish. For growing plants that need critically good drainage, such as cacti and other succulents, perlite gives favourable conditions.
Vermiculite helps with moisture retention in sandy soils and aeration of clay soils. It is excellent for mulching and decorating planter boxes and hanging baskets and can be added to
- Excellent for mulching and decorating planter boxes and hanging baskets
- Add to potting mix to improve moisture retention and drainage
- A clean sterile material
When mixed in the soil mix, this Perlite potting mix forms spaces to allow water to freely move through the root system. Roots then draw as much water as they require without unintentional drowning.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Stops roots from unintentional drowning
- Suitable for all types of planting situations